Teacher Guide for Starter Paragraph Punch
More Teacher Guides:
- Choose one of the four types of paragraphs that your class will work on first: Reasons, Details, Example, or Sequence.
- During one period, model how you write this kind of paragraph, using the step-by-step process that is also used in Starter Paragraph Punch, up to the revision portion.
- Direct your students to the Starter Paragraph Punch program and have them complete the step-by-step process of writing this kind of paragraph in 3 periods (40 to 45 minutes).
- Short and brief responses are recommended while students brainstorm their initial thoughts. Explain that as students work through the program, they will have many opportunities to expand their thoughts to complete sentences.
- At the start of each period, review major paragraph concepts including topic and concluding sentences, body, and transitional words.
- Once the students have completed their drafts, conduct a mini-lesson on editing. You could do a different mini-lesson for each of the four types of paragraphs that you teach. Mini-lessons could be about how to check vocabulary, sentence structure, grammar issues, punctuation, capitalization, or spelling.
- Then have students revise their paragraphs using the revision and editing portion of the Starter Paragraph Punch program. Students can work in pairs, helping each other as they edit.
- Ask students to share their paragraphs with the class or with partners. Ask students to tell what they liked about each other's work, make suggestions, and reflect on what they learned about the writing process.
Sat the program for the three other types of paragraphs.
- Have students write on topics without using the Starter Paragraph Punch program for support. Encourage students to use the Independent Follow-up Worksheet (located in the program manual) as a guide.
Resources to help you achieve success
Why Merit Is Different
Merit Software gives everyone involved -- teachers, tutors, parents and students -- the tools and opportunities to improve learning and to attain positive, measurable results. Learn more.
Automatic Student Tracking
All Merit online learning programs include FREE tools to track and monitor student usage.
Solutions by Grade Level
View recommended programs by Grade Level and Subject.
Learn How Merit Software
Can Help You.
to Contact Us.