Teaching Tips: Reading Comprehension Basic
- For best results we recommend that students use these programs 20 to 25 minutes a session – two to three times a week – for six to eight weeks, and probably more, in conjunction with other methods of instruction.
- Login to Merit, choose Reading Skill Builder, Level 1, Unit 1.
- Complete “Tryout” (If you score over 90%, move up to Level 2, Unit 1’s “Tryout” for more challenge).
- Do two or more “Warm-up” skills that you want to work on.
- Complete the “Workout” round and then the “Finals.”
- Review your progress in the Online Portfolio menu in Merit. What have you improved upon already? What areas do you need to work on more?
- Move up to the higher levels of Reading Skill Builder when you are ready. If you move up to a level and it is too difficult, you can move down and redo levels you have already completed.
- For a change of pace, use Merit Vocabulary modules on an as needed basis.
- Login to Merit, choose Confused Words Fix-Up, Level 1, Unit 1 or Vocabulary Stretch Level 1, Unit 1 – Learn. Compete “Tryout” (If you score over 85%, move up to the next highest levels).
Resources to help you achieve success
Why Merit Is Different
Merit Software gives everyone involved — teachers, tutors, parents and students — the tools and opportunities to improve learning and to attain positive, measurable results. Learn more.
Automatic Student Tracking
All Merit online learning programs include FREE tools to track and monitor student usage.
Solutions by Grade Level
View recommended programs by Grade Level and Subject.