Teaching Tips for Starter Paragraph Punch
More Teaching Tips:
Sample One (1) Hour Assignment – best done over two or three 20 to 30 minute blocks of time
- Direct students in the Merit Online Learning platform to go to “Writing” and choose a Starter Paragraph Punch-Details topic that interests them (such as A Favorite Food or An Imaginary Creature).
- Tell students to follow the program’s directions to write and review a complete paragraph.
- The program’s built-in hints and tips make it easy for most writers to organize their thoughts and write clear, concise sentences and paragraphs.
- Student writing is automatically bookmarked in the Merit Online Learning system.
- If a student does not complete their writing in one sitting, they may return to where they left off or start over.
- The Publishing step has three options: Review, Spell Check, and Save. Selecting Save permanently saves student writing in the Merit Online Learning system.
- If work is permanently saved, then students may make an unlimited number of revisions using the Post-Published Edits tool in the Online Portfolio.
- Once work is permanently saved, students may also redo a topic without overwriting previous work.
- Encourage students to make edits. All capable writers make edits.
- Instructors may view student work, at various stages of development, in their own Merit Online Learning dashboard.
Resources to help you achieve success
Why Merit Is Different
Merit Software gives everyone involved — teachers, tutors, parents and students — the tools and opportunities to improve learning and to attain positive, measurable results. Learn more.
Automatic Student Tracking
All Merit online learning programs include FREE tools to track and monitor student usage.
Solutions by Grade Level
View recommended programs by Grade Level and Subject.