Merit Software Teaching Tips: Writing Mechanics – Grammar
- Grammar Fitness has five (5) levels of difficulty. Each level has five (5) units of instruction and covers 10 grammar concepts. Levels 1 and 2 are for beginning students. Levels 3 and 4 are for intermediate learners. Level 5 is for advanced students.
- For best results use Grammar Fitness 20 to 30 minutes a session – two to three times a week – for at least eight weeks and probably longer.
- Login to Merit, choose Grammar Fitness, Level 1, Unit 1. Complete the “Tryout” (if you score over 90%, move up to Level 2 for more challenge), “Warm-up” (do at least 2 skills you want to work on), “Workout,” and the “Finals.”
- View your progress in the Online Portfolio. What skills you have improved upon? Where do you need to practice more? Discuss your progress with a teacher or tutor.
- Continue to work through the Grammar Fitness level you started work on. Move up to higher levels when you are ready. If you move up to a level and it is too difficult, you can move down, and redo levels already completed.
- Answer the questions the best you can. Read the feedback as you work. Almost all answers to questions show feedback. The feedback explains each skill.
- “Tryout” and “Finals” sections need to be completed in one session or you will need to start them over.
- Correctly answer seven (7) questions for each skill in the “Workout.” There is no limit to the number of times you will see the questions.
- You do not need to complete a “Warm-up” or “Workout” in one session. If you stop using a “Warm-up” or “Workout” session before it has finished, the program remembers where you left off when you return. You may redo finished “Warm-up” and “Workout” activities.
- Review your scores in the Online Portfolio, then take the “Finals” for a section to apply the grammar concepts you just learned.
- For a change of pace, use Merit writing activities on an as needed basis.
- Ask a teacher or tutor to help you if you are having trouble with any grammar skills.
Resources to help you achieve success
Why Merit Is Different
Merit Software gives everyone involved — teachers, tutors, parents and students — the tools and opportunities to improve learning and to attain positive, measurable results. Learn more.
Automatic Student Tracking
All Merit online learning programs include FREE tools to track and monitor student usage.
Solutions by Grade Level
View recommended programs by Grade Level and Subject.